Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sister Act

Throughout the years, I've tried many times to get off dialysis.  The first time was in 1985.  It was the day after Thanksgiving when many holiday travelers lose their lives.  Sadly, the kidney didn't work.  About 2 years later I was called for a second transplant.  Again the kidney did not work.  Later in 1989, I went on a form of home dialysis, but this was not a good choice for me.  I returned to hemodialysis 9 months later.  By this time, St. Elizabeth's transplant program was up and running.  So I got another kidney.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

My sister wanted to give me her kidney, but I was afraid.  I didn't want anything to go wrong.  She was very brave.  She convinced me to do it.  We were a perfect match.  Better then twins.  In 1998 we went under the knife at Pittsburgh's Presby.  

Tina, my sissy carried out the most selfless act of love.  Our chances were slim, but she was determined we try.  In the end, the kidney did not work, but it remains my "Golden Goose".  

I still carry her kidney on my left side, not too far from my heart, where sisters meet and share their lives.

1 comment:

Tina said...

If you have troubles sleeping you should consider getting help for night eating disorder with care and compassion.