Saturday, September 6, 2008

Life is Like A Box of Chocolates...

"Life is like a box of chocolates."  Forest Gump was right.  You never know what you are going to get.  I never thought at the age of 19 I would get sick.  I never thought I would spend the rest of my days depending on a machine to survive.  Well here it is 2008.  Twenty-seven years have passed.  I'm 47 years old now, and I've only got a hundred years to live.  My friends, I want you to know, you are not alone.  I've been thought the fire, and now it's time to share.

I have sat for thousands of hours in my chair, hooked to my machine.  This is my time.  No one can interrupt it, or take it away.  It's all mine.  I'm sure in this busy world, many people would kill to have some 'my time'.  

My time consists of four hours of just hanging out.  I bring a snack and watch TV.  I love old movies.  I read a lot, and write this blog.  Sometimes I listen to music or talk on my cellphone.  I paint my fingernails and toenails.  I love to gossip and goof around with my fellow dialysis buddies. A lot of times, I just tilt my head back, and take a nice snooze.  At some point during my treatment I organize my thoughts and my day.  

Most days I solve all the worlds problems.  (Dialysis makes you smarter.)  Always, I talk to God, and he talks to me.  Most of the things you can do at home, are things you can do while sitting on dialysis.  That time is your time.  You have a great excuse to sit back and relax.  Do not sit in that chair and watch the clock.  I learned a long time ago those hands refuse to move when you are staring at them.

Remember, this is your time.  It's for you and the good health of your body and blood.  Don't piss it away.  There, I made a pun for those of us who can't pee.  I love the old Spanish proverb, "How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward."

A hundred hugs and a thousand kisses.....your friend, Jodi

2 comments:

kaygrin said...

jodi read your blog and was interested in learning more as i am a relatively new dialysis patient. i am a friend and neighbor of susan w who goes to curves with you and this morning i found out you go to ARA the same clinic I do though at a different time. so that is really cool! i am kathi and will look fwd to hearing from you and watching your blog (grin).

The Machine & Me said...

Hi Kathi,
Hope to meet you sometime at ARA. In the meantime keep reading and learning about my experiences on dialysis. Do you have an questions?
Jodi