Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Most Memorable Thanksgiving

I was about six years old...we had a big dinner planned for the "famia"...Grandma and Grandpa Mangino and Aunt Maryrose...we had just finished eating...it was really warm out that day...nice for November...the food was still on the table...I was playing with my marbles in the laundry room...the men went downstairs in the store...we lived in the apartment above my Dad's grocery...the ladies were lingering around the table...due to the warm weather...someone propped the downstairs door open...

all hell broke loose...a sewer rat the size of a fat cat joined the party...there were open sewers back then...he ran into the bathroom that was off the kitchen...Aunt Maryrose jumped onto the table and pee'd herself...Ma ran into the laundry room with me and slammed and locked the door...I got scared...Grandma Mangino had a hellish scream...she ran to the living room, climbed the back of the couch and up the wall...

no worries...Grandpa Mangino couldn't wait to kill it...he was in his element...him and his broom he used to beat it up...of course, a cornered rat doesn't go down without a fight...that was my most memorable Thanksgiving.

that year I was thankful I had a Grandpa that ate razor blades for breakfast.

No comments: