Friday, October 3, 2008

The Machine

My dialysis machine is a perfect example of modern medical technology. They have come such a long way in the last few decades. The first dialysis machines were made out of washing machines. Amazing isn't it. The machine basically acts like a big pump. It circulates our blood around and around pushing it through a dialyzer which is where all the cleansing of our blood takes place. When I say cleansing of our blood, I mean the toxins are removed. It is done slowly, that is why the treatments take 3 to 4 hours. Our technicians attach us to our machines via an artery and a vein. Unless the patient has a permanent catheter to plug into, we have to be stuck with 2 needles. The needles are somewhat large in order to accommodate the thickness of the blood. Some of our dialyzers are rinsed out and used again up to 35 times as long as they pass tests. Other dialyzers are thrown away. Mine is thrown away after each use. I prefer it this way. I'm very sensitive to sterilants. The machines are amazing and I am lucky to have one. Before they had enough to go around, many people died. I know it's a tough break, but what is the alternative. Don't take your machine for granted. It keeps us alive, and life is good.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: