Thursday, October 9, 2008

Surgery Tips

I've had to go into the hospital  for revisions on my arm.  I was told these would be Outpatient Surgeries, so I expected to be released.  I have learned the hard way to always prepare for a change in plans.  Sometimes going home that day is just not possible. 

When having outpatient surgery, I always pack a small overnight bag and leave it in the car.  I include some toiletries, slippers and a robe.  Most importantly, I always bring along a few doses of all my medications, as well as Tylenol or other pain relievers.  Chances are, you will be discharged before they are able to bring any of your proper medicines.  If they do bring your pills and you've already taken them, just accept them and add them to your stash.

Getting something to eat after that long day of fasting can also be tough, especially when on a special diet.  I bring along crackers and other easy edibles, as well as a bottle of water.  It may be a long, long time before you get a tray or even something to drink.

A magazine or newspaper is good to include just in case you can't sleep, and the television isn't available yet.

I always carry a written list of all my medications and their dosages.  Also list any allergies you may have.  When the nurse asks for this information, just slip her the list, and she can copy it onto her sheet.

Being prepared makes a hospital visit much more tolerable.  Be sure to request everything you may need (extra blankets, pillows) when the nurse is admitting you.  It may be a very long time before they answer your call light...

Good Luck...Your Friend...Jodi 

No comments: